Here you find some of the geographical terms beginning with C
Basic Geographical Terms Beginning with C
- Canal – Canal is a waterway made by man artificially for irrigation and easier transportation.
- Canyon – Canyon is a valley that can be recognized with its deep and steep sides. You can find them in the Grand Canyon.
- Cape – Cape is a section of land that juts out into the water. Example – Cape Cod.
- Cave – As you know, a cave is a large open area in the ground or on the side of a mountain.
- Channel – Channel is a narrow stretch of water between two larger bodies of water.
- Cliff – Cliff is a steep rock face often found by the ocean.
- Cove – Cove is a small bay shaped like a horseshoe. It can be found on Coron Island in the Philippines.
- Continent – The continent is a large mass of land.
- Chine – Chine is a steep-sided gorge. A river flows through the sea and is generally admired in England.
- Cuesta – Cuesta is a term used to describe a hill or a ridge with a gentle slope on one side of it and a much steeper slope on the other side.
- Crater – When something impacts the ground with greater force, that creates depression, known as a crater. The most common cause of craters is due to meteor strikes.
- Conurbation – Conurbation is a term coined back in 1915. It is the process of two urban areas merging that end up running together.
- Continental Shelf – The area of the land around a continent is known as the continental shelf. This is the region where your land sits and or where the continent very much ends.
- Col – Col is the lowest point or a gap between two mountains.
- Cinder Cone – Cinder cone is a cone-shaped hill found at the top of the volcanic vent surrounded by high and sheer cliff faces.
- Coastline – When the land comes in contact with the sea is known as Coastline. Even smaller bodies of water like lakes also have a coastline.
- Chaparral – Chaparral is a term that i used to describe a kind of shrubland based on the Mediterranean climate. You can find this kind of land throughout California.
- Cenote – Cenote is a pit or a sinkhole that naturally forms and exposes the groundwater underneath.