The Grand Canyon is one of the beautiful natural wonders of the world. Nearly 6 million people visit the Grand Canyon every year. The world’s most spectacular canyon is a bucket list for many travelers. Read on to know more about the history and facts about the grand canyon.
History of the Grand Canyon
The Grand Canyon has formed 5 to 6 million years ago when the Colorado river started carving through layers of volcanic rock and sediment. This is the best example of how weather and erosion can shape the earth. A group of Spanish soldiers led by García López de Cárdenas from the army of Francisco Vásquez de Coronado discovered the Grand Canyon in 1540.
Top 10 Grand Canyon Facts
How Old Is the Grand Canyon?
- A. About 6 Million Years
- B. About 7 Million Years
- C. About 8 Million Years
- D. None of the Above
- In 1903, 26th U.S. president Theodore Roosevelt visited the Grand Canyon and was amazed by its beauty. He played a major role in preserving the Grand Canyon. It was declared a national park in 1919.
- Joseph Wesley Powell, an American explorer, and geologist named Grand canyon
- It is the second most-visited U.S. national park after smoky mountains.
- It is not the world’s widest nor the deepest canyon.
- The Grand Canyon is bigger than you think, it is about 4931 square km. The entire state of Rhode island can fit into it.
- It can create its weather, but it depends on which part of the Grand Canyon you’re standing.
- The Colorado River that originates from the Rocky Mountain region flows through the Grand Canyon.
- You can spot pink snakes in the Grand Canyon.
- The age of the grand canyon is still a debate. But recently, one study says that the Grand Canyon was created about 70 million years ago!
- There are nearly 1000 caves in the Grand Canyon, but only 355 have been discovered.
Places to Visit in Grand Canyon
These are must-visit places in the Grand Canyon-
- Visitor center & Mather Point Overlook
- Rim Trail
- Geological museum
- Hermit road drive
- Bright angel hiking trail
- Desert view trial
- Desert view watcher