Halloween is right around the corner, it is time to decide your Halloween costume and macabre decorations. Halloween or All Hallow’s Eve is celebrated on October 31st every year. In 2020, it falls on a saturday. Get ready for all the Halloween activities with your friends and family like trick-or-treating, lighting bonfires, playing pranks, and watching horror movies. To add more spooky fun to your Halloween celebration, here is a list of top 10 Halloween superstitions and Halloween folklores.
The top 10 Halloween Superstitions List
- There is a saying “Black cats are bad luck”. This saying is top on the superstitions list as it was once believed that black cats are evil and hence considered a devil. In ancient times, elderly, solitary women were considered witches. These women were claimed to have black cats as their pets and were used to perform demonic activities. But, it’s 2020, now it is not considered a bad luck. In fact, in places like Scotland, Ireland, and England, black cats are considered good luck!
- Why are witches associated with Halloween? Witches are considered to be old evil women who live in dark and solitary houses, wearing pointed hats, traveling through broom sticks, and stirring magical portions. This is one of the most common superstitions but initially she was an indication of the pagan goddess called “the crone” who symbolized wisdom and changing of seasons. This is the Halloween witchcraft history.
- It is one of the most common superstitions that broomsticks are used by witches to travel. But in reality, broomsticks were used by poor old women who could not afford a walking stick.
- Jack-O-Lantern is one of the fun activities we can do on Halloween. According to a Celtic folklore, a farmer named Jack tricked evil but his trickery led him to be banned from heaven and hell, therefore he started to roam in the darkness of the purgatory. He carved a lantern out of a turnip to light his way. Later, the tradition has been adopted by people in order to light up the way for spirits to reach its destination.
- Children who are born on the day of Halloween are believed to have the power to see spirits and fairies and even converse with them.
- In the late 17th century, farmers had to walk around their fields with light singing a piece of doggerel verse in order to protect their fields from evil.
- It is also believed that if the light or candle goes off on a Halloween evening, you might be with a ghost.
- Spiders and Halloween are always related, but why? What does it mean if you see a spider on Halloween? Spiders are also believed to be evil companions of witches and devils. If a spider falls into a candle then it is an indication then the evil spirit is somewhere around you. If you see a spider on Halloween night, then it is probably your loved one who recently died watching you. These are some top Halloween spider superstitions.
- Another common belief is that on Halloween night, if you feel like someone is walking behind you or watching you, you are not supposed to turn back as it might be a dead person following you.
- Seeing bats on Halloween night is also considered an ominous sign. It is also believed that if you spot a bat near your house on the day of Halloween, it means that the evil spirit is somewhere near. If a bat flies over your house three times, then it might be an indication that someone is going to die soon.