The Vietnam war was a long and blood filled painful history for the nation. The vietnam war is also known as the IndoChina war that took place between north vietnamese and south vietnamese from 1955 to 1975. While the north vietnamese had the support of communist allies like the soviet union and china and the south vietnamese had the support of west and the United states. And the reason for the Vietnam War had several different causes like the spread of communism during the cold war, American containment and European imperialism in Vietnam.
What Are the 5 Facts about the Vietnam War That Nobody Knows
- The deadliest war lasted for 20 years. More than 58,000 Americans were killed in the Vietnam war and more than were 150,000 wounded. The reason behind the United States involvement in the Vietnam war is to keep communism from spreading all over the world.
- The first generation of M-16 Rifles were issued during the period of the Vietnam War. Most of the rifles malfunctioned and jammed in the middle of a gunfight. This caused the US Army to prefer the enemy’s weapon of choice, the AK-47. The US soldiers would often pick up weapons from the Vietnamese soldiers they killed. Weapons, Artillery and other war paraphernalia can still be seen at the war museums spread across Vietnam.
- The Vietnam war is not only between Vietnam and America, even New Zealand, Australia and the anti-communist forces like South Korea were also involved in the war. More than 3,00,000 Korean troops were also involved in the war by inflicting 41,000 casualties, massacring almost 5000 vietnamese.
- The Gulf of Tonkin Incident is only partially true. This incident is considered as the impetus for the heightening of American activity in Vietnam. It alludes to two occurrences in August 1964.
- Both the United States and South Vietnamese presidents were shot dead in 1963. Both the presidents were catholic. And President Kennedy badly wanted to get the U.S troop out of the Vietnam war by the end of 1965. This created a great conflict between the soldiers.
What Was the Reason for the Vietnam War?
- A. Spread of Communism
- B. American Containment
- C. European Imperialism
- D. All the Above