All about Windowless Skyscraper- 33 Thomas Street Quiz
Eliza | 03 - 03 - 2021
Updated: March 3, 2021 11:00 pm IST
The AT & T building is famously known by its street name- 33 Thomas Street. This building is mainly made for machines, not people. There are many mysteries regarding the building. This windowless skyscraper is a strong, safe building with the ability to house electronic equipment and protect it from natural and man-made threats. This windowless building remains an enigma to many New Yorkers. Play our 33 Thomas Street quiz to know more interesting facts about the AT&T building.
1. The AT&T Building Is Commonly Known by Its
The AT&T building is commonly known by its street address, 33 Thomas Street. This skyscraper building is located in Tribeca, Lower Manhattan, New York city
2. The AT&T Building Is an Example of _____ Architectural Style
The AT&T building is an example of a brutalist architectural style. Brutalist buildings are characterized by their blocky appearance with rough, monolithic, unfinished surfaces and shapes.
3. What’s the Full Form of AT&T Building?
The full form of the AT&T building is American Telephone & Telegraph. It is one of the world’s largest US-based telecommunications companies.
4. Who Designed the Building of the Long Lines?
John Carl Warnecke designed the long line building. He was also the architect of the JFK eternal flame.
5. 33 Thomas Street Is the Location of the National Security Agency?
It is said that AT&T is one of the most trusted partners of the National security agency (NSA). This collaboration dates back decades. NSA values AT&T because of its unique relationship.
6. The AT&T Building Is a Nuclear Bomb-Proof Building
The AT&T building was built to withstand a nuclear attack. These windowless buildings are constructed in a way to withstand earthquakes and nuclear bomb blast
7. The AT&T Building Helps the NSA with its_______
The AT&T building helps the NSA with its Mass surveillance program. The NSA considers AT&T as their trusted partners.
8. How Many Years Does It Take to Complete the AT&T Building?
The AT&T building was designed in 1969 and it took 5 years to construct. The floors in the building can carry 200 to 300 pound-force per square foot.
9. The AT&T Building Is a ______
The AT&T building is a telephone exchange building that has three major 4ESS Switches used for long-distance telephony. It also contains other switches for competitive local exchange carrier services.
10. AT&T Is a _____ Story Building
AT&T is a 21-story building. It's a 550-foot-tall skyscraper which is an example of the brutalist architectural style.
11. On September 17, 1991, How Many Call Were Blocked
On September 17, 1991, over 5 million calls were blocked because of management failure, power equipment failure, and human error.
12. The AT&T Building Is the World’s Second-Largest Long-Distance Phone Call Processing Center
The AT&T building is the world's largest long-distance phone call processing center. It is used to process an average of 175-million calls a day.
13. How Many People Can Survive inside AT&T?
Architect Warnecke designed the structure in a way to resist nuclear fallout and made it self-sufficient so nearly 1,500 people can survive inside its walls for two weeks.
14. Why Is There No Window in the AT&T Building?
The windowless walls in the AT&T building protect it from external threats. Windows allow the sun to enter which could further heat up the building.
15. The AT&T Project Was Called as
The AT&T building was nicknamed project X because it was an unusually audacious, highly sensitive assignment to build this massive skyscraper which is capable of withstanding an atomic blast.