Can You Answer Our Texas Birds Identification Quiz?
Eliza | 31 - 12 - 2020
Updated: December 31, 2020 11:00 pm IST
Texas is blessed with more than 600 species of birds than any other place in the United States. It has many bird locations with many kinds of not only beautiful birds but also wild cunning birds. Get to know about the state bird of Texas and the bird that lays eggs in the nest of another bird and many more interesting facts about Texas birds. If you’re an ornithologist play this Texas bird quiz and see where you stand.
1. ________ Is the State Bird of Texas?
A law passed in 1927 declaring the northern mockingbird as the state official bird because it's found in all parts of Texas and is also known for its fighting attitude, protection of its home.
2. One of the Famous Birds in Texas Which Is Also Named as Chicken Hawk. Can You Guess Its Name?
The red-tailed hawk is called a chickenhawk because of its fighting attitude and its believed to prey on chickens. The word ‘chickenhawk’ is inappropriate because red-tailed hawk prey on other birds too.
3. MockingBirds Are Known for their______ Abilities
Mockingbirds are known for their singing abilities and can sing throughout the day and night. Male mockingbirds can sing up to 300 songs and sings different songs in fall
4. This Bird Lives in North America but Moves to the South during Harsh Weather?
The northern mockingbird is the permanent resident of Texas but moves to the south during harsh weather conditions.
5. This Bird Spends 90% of Its Walking Time Searching for Food. Can You Guess Its Name?
Great blue herons spend most of its time searching for food. They wait for their aquatic prey by standing for a longer period. They are excellent at catching fishes and can cruise 20 to 30 miles per hour.
6. _______ Recycles Their Nest Year after Year?
Barn swallows recycle and reuse their nest year after year, both male and female barn swallows construct their nest with mud pellets. They first start with a small shelf then they build up the nest sides.
7. A Large Dark Bird with Long Broad Wings, Which Have Long Fingers and Nails That Extend Past Their Toes Tips in Flight. Guess Its Name?
Turkey vulture, one of the birds in Texas has a bald head and dark feathers; it was given the name ‘Turkey vulture’ because it resembled a wild turkey. Turkey vulture nests are difficult to find.
8. Name the Bird Which Performs a Broken Wing Display to Distract Intruders Away from Its Nest and Chicks?
Killdeer performs a broken wing display when a predator tries to attack her nest. In this distraction display performance, the killdeer acts like one or two of her wings are broken and make a distress cry.
9. This Bird in Texas Lays Eggs in the Nest of Another Bird. Guess Its Name?
Brown-headed cowbirds follow brood parasitism, which means they lay their eggs in the nest of other birds. When the female cowbirds find the nest it pushes the existing eggs in the nest and lays its own.
10. This bird of Texas floats like a duck, Guess its name
American coot looks and floats like a duck so it’s commonly mistaken as a duck. It comes under a bird family called Rallidae. The American coot is more visible in the ocean and it rarely takes a flight.
11. _______ Is a Diving Duck with a Distinctive Fan-like Hood on the Back of the Head.
Hooded mergansers can be found in upper Texas coast freshwater, ponds, lakes, rivers from November to early March. Males are called drakes, females are hens. It can fly at the speed of 80kph
12. This Bird Is from Eastern Third of Texas, and It Gets Color from Its Food. Guess Its Name Green Jay
Roseate spoonbill gets its color from the pigments of the crustaceans that it eats. Crustaceans include crab, shrimp, lobster, and barnacles. It uses its spoon-shaped beak to catch its prey from water.
13. This Texas Bird Is a Small Bird but It Can Fly over 3,200 KM. Can You Find Its Name
Rufous hummingbird has the longest migration route than other birds in Texas. They have a strong memory power to find the location. Rufous hummingbird can beat its wings 200 times per second.
14. _________ Performs Large Twists and Turns When It Catches Insects in the Air.
Scissor-tailed flycatchers mostly eat insects which include grasshoppers, beetles, wasps, bees, bugs and caterpillars. It flies in mid-air to catch an insect performing large twists and turns.
15. Which Bird in Texas Is Named as the King of Forest in Folklore?
According to folklore, wren is considered the King of the forest as she succeeded in proving that she's the best among the birds. It was her shrewdness that made her win the competition.