Take up the Lincoln Memorial Quiz to Know American History
Vannessa | 05 - 12 - 2020
Updated: December 5, 2020 11:00 pm IST
The Lincoln Memorial is a great architectural asset and pride of every American. Our American history quiz explains in detail about this magnificent monument built in memory of the 16th President of the United States. Everything from the architecture of the Lincoln Memorial to the significance behind each structure is discussed in this history trivia. Read to know more about the significance of the Lincoln Memorial and its connection with the end of slavery in America.
1. In What Architectural Style Was the Lincoln Memorial Built?
The Lincoln Memorial was built in Greek architectural style. It was designed by the famous architect of that time, Henry Bacon and looks like a Greek Doric temple with multiple columns.
2. Where Is the Lincoln Memorial Located?
The Lincoln Memorial is located on the western end of the National Mall in Washington D.C. The National Mall is an official unit of the US National Park System with multiple architectural structures.
3. How Many Columns Are There on the Outside of the Lincoln Memorial?
36 columns surround the Lincoln Memorial. The building was architectured in such a way to represent the 36 states in the Union that were present during Lincoln’s period.
4. When Was the Construction of the Lincoln Memorial Completed?
The Lincoln Memorial’s construction was started in 1916 and completed in 1922. It was built by Henry Bacon to honor Abraham Lincoln and his contribution in eradicating slavery.
5. Is There a Statue of Abraham Lincoln Inside the Memorial?
The Lincoln Memorial houses a large structure of Abraham Lincoln in a sitting position. The magnificent statue was carved in white marble and was designed by Daniel Chester French.
6. How Many Steps Are There in the Lincoln Memorial?
There are 87 steps from Lincoln’s statue to the Reflecting Pool in the Lincoln Memorial. Four score seven meaning twenty times four was mentioned in one of Abraham Lincoln’s speeches during the Civil War.
7. Since When Has the Lincoln Memorial Been Mentioned in the National Register of Historic Places?
Though the Lincoln Memorial was finished constructing in the year 1922, it was mentioned in the National Register of Historic Places only on October 15, 1966.
8. Abraham Lincoln was the _________ president of the United States.
Abraham Lincoln was the sixteenth president of America and served office from 1861 to 1864. He was a member of the Republican Party when he was elected as the President of the US.
9. The Memorial Is Considered a Sacred Venue for Which of the Following Events?
Abraham Lincoln ended slavery during his governance from 1861 to 1864 through the Civil War. Hence, the Lincoln Memorial is considered a sacred venue that signifies the Civil Rights Movement.
10. In Which Popular Tom Hanks Movie Was the Lincoln Memorial Featured?
The Lincoln Memorial was featured in Tom Hanks’ popular Hollywood film ‘Forrest Gump’ released in 1994. It is an American comedy based on a novel of the same name.
11. What Is the Lincoln Memorial Made Out Of?
The Lincoln Memorial is made out of marble, granite, and limestone. The marble used for the construction was taken from 4 states namely Massachusetts, Colorado, Alabama, and Tennessee.
12. Is Lincoln Memorial a Tomb for Abraham Lincoln?
No, The Lincoln Memorial isn’t a tomb. After his death in 1865, Abraham Lincoln was buried at Oak Ridge Cemetery in Springfield. The Lincoln Memorial was built to remember Lincoln’s contribution to end slavery.
13. How Much Is the Price of the Ticket to Visit the Lincoln Memorial?
The government doesn’t charge a fee to visit the Lincoln Memorial. It is an architectural marvel to honor Abraham Lincoln and is open throughout the year, 24 hours a day.
14. What Is Underneath the Lincoln Memorial?
15. Who Became the President After Lincoln’s Death?
After Abraham Lincoln’s assassination and death, Andrew Johnson from the Democratic Party became the 17th President of the US and served office from 1865-1869.