Iolani Palace in Hawaii
The Iolani Palace was a royal living restoration of the rulers of the Kingdom of Hawaii. The palace was a symbol of promise for the Hawaiian monarchy constructed by King Kalakaua in 1882. It was the official royal residence and also the residence of the Kingdom’s social and political life until 1893. It is situated in the capitol district of downtown Honolulu in Hawaii. It is known as the home of Hawaii’s last reigning monarchs
Iolani Palace History
- Iolani palace represents the Hawaiian historical period when King Kalakaua and his sister and successor, Queen Liliuokalani walked grand halls and ruled the kingdom.
- The palace holds important memories of grand balls and hula performances and also Liliuokalani’s overthrow which was the tragic story of Liliuokalani’s detention. After the overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom, the palace went through many transformations. It served as the Capital for around 80 years.
- After the monarchy was deposed, the palace has been registered as a National Historic Landmark since 1962. It is the only royal residence in the US. It has become one of the most recognizable buildings in Hawaii.
- The Palace had many official ceremonies and events, received dignitaries and luminaries from around the world.
- Iolani Palace was ahead of its period, the building was influenced by European architectural style. It was filled with the latest amenities that include electric lights, indoor plumbing, and the most advanced communication system-telephone.
- It contains beautiful interior features such as dramatic portraits of Hawaiian royalty, ornate furniture, koa staircase ornaments from the world.
Why Is Queen Liliuokalani Important?
Queen Liliuokalani is important because she was the last of the Kalākaua dynasty and only queen regnant of the Hawaiian monarchy. She ruled from January 29, 1891, till the overthrow of the Hawaiian monarchy on January 17, 1893. She tried to restore powers and her attempts to strengthen the political power of the Hawaiian monarchy went in vain. The US military-backed coup overturned her in 1893. They created an official government and Hawaii was announced as a republic in 1894.
After the overthrow of the kingdom, Iolani Palace became the government headquarters for the Provisional Government. After the death of ruler Kalakaua, several of the palace’s original furnishings were sold in a public auction. The personal things were returned to the royal family.
1. When Was the Iolani Palace Built?
- A. 1879
- B. 1989
- C. 1789
- D. 1690