10 Awesome Facts about the SR-71 Blackbird

Emma | 10 - 11 - 2020
10 Awesome Facts about the SR-71 Blackbird

Here are some of the most mind-blowing SR-71 blackbird facts and some unknown SR-71 blackbird stories.

  1. The SR-71 Blackbird is a long-term, high-altitude, Mach 3+ strategic investigation aircraft invented by Lockheed Martin & Skunk Works. It was then manufactured by the American aerospace company Lockheed Corporation. 
  2. The SR-71 Blackbird was introduced in January 1966 and operated by both the United States Air Force (USAF) and NASA.
  3. It was developed as a black project from the Lockheed A-12 aircraft for rapid surprise attack on an enemy during the 1960s. The SR-71 blackbird costs 34 million dollars.
  4. The Blackbird was constructed 85% out of titanium alloy and the remaining 15% was made from polymer composite materials.
  5. It was the world’s fastest air-breathing highest-flying operational manned aircraft to have taken to the skies throughout its career. 
  6. The SR-71 blackbird top speed could exceed Mach 3 which is above 2,200 mph. That’s literally faster than a speeding bullet and over 3 times faster than the speed of sound.
  7. The SR-71 Blackbird aircraft retired in 1998 from (USAF) and in 1999 it retired from (NASA). During the Cold War, this plane flew higher and faster than any other planes.
  8. SR-71 records are unimaginable as on 28 July 1976, it broke the world record the absolute altitude record of 85,069 feet (25,929 m) and at the same day another SR-71 set an absolute speed record of 3,529.6 kilometers per hour (2,193.2 miles per hour).
  9. The SR-71 Blackbird aircraft was originally built to be equipped with weapons but it was then converted into a spying aircraft and so it can’t fire a gun and doesn’t carry a bomb.
  10. The pilots of SR-71 had to be married because it would be hard for them to change loyalties to the USSR. Single males are more likely to defect since they’ve got nothing to lose.

Read Next