What is Cyber Monday? The Monday after Thanksgiving is referred to as Cyber Monday in the United States. This day is also known as Blue Monday. It was a marketing term created by retailers to encourage people to shop online. What website created Cyber Monday in 2005? It was first used on November 28, 2005 in a Shop.org press release entitled “Cyber Monday”. Soon, it was recognized as one of the biggest online shopping days of the year. In this article, we will discuss the top 10 Cyber Monday facts.
- How does Cyber Monday work? Cyber Monday falls on different dates every year. To put it in simple words, Cyber Monday is celebrated on the Monday that arrives after Thanksgiving day. The date falls somewhere between November 26 and December 2, depending on the year.
- Cyber Monday history: In the early 2000s, people tended to have slow internet connections at home. Therefore, they were not so fond of online shopping. But, people were still shopping from their office computers. After several researches, the ‘National Retail Federation’ found that people tend to shop online once they return to office after the holidays. The day they come back to office was always a monday. Therefore, they decided to encourage shopping online by offering them with great discounts and deals. It became a massive hit in the market as people loved shopping at their own conveniences also at affordable prices.
- The term ‘Cyber Monday’ was coined by Ellen Davis of the National Retail Federation and Scott Silverman. Do you remember we used to apply the word ‘Cyber’ while using the internet? This is how the term was invented.
- The first Cyber Monday was celebrated in 2005. The total revenue on online stores in the USA during that time was about 484 million USD.
- In 2014, the sales was $2.65 billion; In 2015, it was reported to be $2.98 billion. Later, in 2017, the online sales grew to a record of $6.59 billion. But breaking all the records, in 2019, the sales was reported to be a staggering $9.4 billion. Many researches say that the sales will grow year by year.
- If you ever plan to buy a new TV, this Cyber Monday sales are the best time as Televisions had the highest price drops with an average of 21.5 percent off.
- In the beginning, the US was the only country to celebrate Cyber Monday. But later this trend became very famous that several other countries like Canada, Australia, and New Zealand started to adopt it. The United Kingdom holds the 2nd place for the total sales during Cyber Monday. In 2017, the total revenue collected during Cyber Monday was 720 million USD.
- In India, its own version of Cyber Monday is celebrated. It was referred to as the ‘Great Online Shopping Festival’ was celebrated on 12-12-2012 when Google India partnered with e-commerce companies like Flipkart and Amazon. In November 2015, Google announced that the event would not be repeated.
- Argentina press has reported that Cyber Monday that was celebrated on November 11, 2014 marked a tenfold growth in users taking advantage of the online shopping over the previous year.
- The first Cyber Monday in Columbia was celebrated on November 26, 2012 and was organized by the Columbian Chamber of Electronic Commerce.
These are the top 10 facts about Cyber Monday.
Who Created Cyber Monday
- A. Ellen Davis
- B. Jim Fisk
- C. Jay Gould
- D. None