Baseball is the national sport of the United States. Though there are many sports in the United States, baseball is considered America’s favorite pastime. It is even celebrated as an American family tradition. Isn’t it important to know more about America’s favorite sport? Here are 10 interesting facts about baseball you must know.
Top 10 Interesting Facts About Baseball
- Baseball became a professional sport in 1869 and this year is considered the most important year in baseball history. The Cincinnati Red Stockings was America’s first professional baseball team.
- “Take me out to the ball game,” a tin pan alley sung by Jack Norworth and Albert Von Tilzer, is the unofficial anthem of American baseball.
- Baseball became an Olympic sport at the 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona. It was dropped from the Olympics in 2012 but was retrieved for a single appearance in the 2020 Tokyo summer Olympics.
- Apart from the U.S., Baseball is also the national sport of Taiwan, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic.
- In MLB, a special mud is used to rub the balls before each game. The mud is officially called Lena Blackburne Baseball Rubbing Mud. This magic mud is brought somewhere in New Jersey, whose exact location is unknown.
- The Hall of Fame for baseball is located in Cooperstown, New Jersey. It is also believed to be the birthplace of baseball. There are 340 elected members in the baseball Hall of Fame.
- Joe Louis Reliford, a 12-year-old boy, is the youngest player to play in the professional baseball game. He appeared for the minor league baseball team in 1952.
- An MLB baseball has 108 double stitches or 216 individual stitches. Rawlings is the official manufacturer of MLB baseballs. They have been producing the balls since 1977.
- What is the weirdest rule in baseball? Most of us know the basic baseball rules, but do you know that it is illegal for a pitcher to wipe his face with his hands and directly grab the ball. The player should dry his pitching hand before touching the ball.
- Baseball catch rules for fans– There are rules for fans when to catch a ball and when they can’t. Generally, fans are not allowed to catch the ball in the play area.