Elon Reeve Musk is one of the richest men in the world and he is an entrepreneur, business magnate, and CEO of Tesla motors. Elon Musk is also the founder, CEO, and chief engineer of SpaceX. It is an aerospace company that designs, manufactures, and launches spacecraft and rockets. SpaceX achievements include being the first private company to send two astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS) on March 30, 2020, in a SpaceX Crew Dragon. It was followed by a test flight with the successful launch of four astronauts on November 15, 2020. The company also launched two unmanned cargo vehicles to the ISS.
When Was SpaceX Founded?
The American aerospace company SpaceX was founded in 2002 by Elon Musk. The company was founded to create a revolution in the aerospace industry and to make the dream of space travel into reality and also affordable.
Facts about SpaceX
- After successfully launching two astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS) Elon Musk’s SpaceX has registered in history books. The two astronauts were the first two Americans from American soil to fly into space after 9 years.
- Elon Musk said he kept the name “Dragon” after the fictional animated “Puff the Magic Dragon ” from the hit song by music group Peter, Paul, and mary. He also said that he kept the name because many criticized his goal as impossible.
- Some parts of “Iron Man 2” were shot in the SpaceX factory in Hawthorne, California. Elon Musk even made a cameo as himself in the film.
- In 2010, on the first test flight of the Dragon capsule, a wheel of cheese was carried into orbit. SpaceX said that the Dragon was carried as special cargo but wasn’t revealed until it returned from orbit and splashed down violently into the Pacific Ocean. Elon Musk said the wheel of cheese is to honor a classic skit from actor John Cleese in Monty Python’s Flying circus.
- SpaceX’s fleet of Falcon rockets, the smaller Falcon1 and Falcon 9 boosters was named after the Star Wars movie Millenium Falcon spaceship.
- The first three rockets of SpaceX failed to launch and the fourth was successful.
- Nasa SpaceX rocket launch- SpaceX Dragon is under contract with Nasa to deliver astronauts to the ISS. SpaceX Falcon 9 was the first rocket of SpaceX under the NASA CRS-2 contract.
- SpaceX clothing- The SpaceX company also has a clothing sector. They sell unique space print shirts, T-shirts, hoodies, and accessories.
- SpaceX has a $1.6 billion contract with NASA for resupply missions.
Elon Musk Facts
- At the age of 12, Musk created a video game called ‘Blastar’ and sold it to a magazine; the company paid him $500. He also worked in a gaming startup called “Rocket Science.”
- Musk through his company “SpaceX” reduced the cost of traveling to space up to 90%.
- Elon Musk received the FAI Gold Space medal in 2010 for designing the first private rocket to reach orbit.
- Musk is a lover of science-fiction and he is also trying to turn science fiction into reality. He even named one of his sons Xavier after Professor Xavior from X-man.
- Elon Musk’s annual salary in Tesla is $1. He receives most of his compensation in the form of stock.
- He also made cameos in famous Hollywood movies and SITCOMS like the Simpsons, South Park, and Big Bang Theory.
What Is Elon Musk's Role in Spacex?
- A. CEO
- B. Engineer
- C. Astronaut
- D. Co-founder