Can You Score 15/15 in Our New Jersey Explorers Quiz?
Eliza | 25 - 07 - 2021
Updated: July 25, 2021 11:00 pm IST
Explorers play a major role in a country’s origin. Did you know how New Jersey was found? Many explorers from various countries set foot on the shores of New Jersey in different periods. But which New Jersey explorer first set foot on the shores of New Jersey? Play our New Jersey explorers quiz and discover the unknown facts about the New Jersey history timeline and Henry Hudson’s voyage timeline. From the first explorer Giovanni da Verrazzano to the last explorer Henry Hudson we have gathered all interesting facts about New Jersey explorers. Take our New Jersey explorers quiz now.
1. Who Was the First Explorer in New Jersey?
Giovanni de Verrazzano was the first Italian explorer to visit New Jersey. He explored the New Jersey coastline around 1524.
2. When Did Explorers First Set Foot in New Jersey?
The explorers first set foot in New Jersey in 1497. It is said that John Cabot, an English explorer, sailing for King Henry VII of England was the first explorer to set foot in New Jersey.
3. What Land Did Henry Hudson Discover?
Henry Hudson discovered New York City, Hudson River, Hudson Strait, and Hudson Bay. Historians say that Giovanni da Verrazzano had previously traveled through the sea to the same place before Hudson in 1524.
4. Which Country Did Hudson Sail For?
Henry Hudson sailed to Asia from Europe through the Arctic Ocean. He made his first voyage to find a shorter route to Asia in 1607.
5. Hudson was hired by _____
Hudson was hired by the Muscovy Company of England in 1607. The company wanted to find a northerly route to the Pacific coast of Asia because at that time the English were in an economic battle with the Dutch.
6. When Did Henry Hudson Make His First Voyage?
Henry Hudson made his first voyage in 1607. He made a total of four voyages in which the first two were unsuccessful and the third and fourth voyages were successful.
7. Who Found the New Jersey Colony?
Sir George Carteret founded New Jersey Colony on June 24, 1664. King Charles II gave the lands between the Connecticut and Delaware rivers to Carteret. He renamed it New Jersey during his charge.
8. How Long did it take Henry Hudson to Reach Great Britain?
It took nearly 26 days for Henry Hudson to reach the Shetland Islands north of Great Britain.
9. Where Did New Jersey Get Its Name From?
New Jersey was named after the English Channel Island of Jersey. It was before called New Netherlands by the Dutch settlers.
10. Finns Were One of the First European Settlers in New Jersey
Finns, Swedes, and the Dutch were the first European settlers in New Jersey.
11. The Colonial History of New Jersey Started After___
The colonial history of New Jersey started soon after Henry Hudson's exploration in 1609.
12. In Which Year Did the New Jersey Colony Surrender to the British?
The British took control of New Jersey in 1664 from the Dutch.
13. In Which Year Did East and West Jersey Combine into One Colony?
The East and West Jersey combined into one colony in 1702. It was Queen Anne who established New Jersey as a unified royal colony.
14. What Was the Name of Henry Hudson's Second Ship?
The name of Henry Hudson’s second ship was Halfmoon. He had a total of three ships, the first ship's name was Halfmoon and his final ship name was Discovery.
15. Henry Discovered the Hudson River on His ___Voyage
Henry discovered the Hudson River on his 3rd voyage in 1609. He also explored Newark Bay the same year.