Dr.Shyamala Gopalan named her firstborn ‘Kamala Devi,’ meaning ‘The Lotus Goddess’ because she firmly believed that “A culture that worships goddesses produces strong women,” and to honor her Indian roots as well.
Facts on The Early Life Of The First Female Vice President.
- Kamala Devi Harris was born in Oakland, California, on October 20, 1964, the eldest of two children born to Shyamala Gopalan, a cancer researcher from India, and Donald Harris, an economist from Jamaica, who fell in love during their doctoral studies and later married (Divorced in 1971).
- Harris attended Howard University, where she joined the Black Greek Sorority known as Alpha Kappa Alpha then went to study Law in San Francisco, where she helped in potty training her niece.
- Harris is a passionate foodie, and that’s where her love for cooking began.
- She is an avid reader who went on to write three books and published them.
- Harris has always been the woman who wanted to change the system from within, and this virtue led her to become the first female vice president. A few of her accomplishments are:
- Kamala responded “I want Freedom” from her stroller when her parents took her to a civil movements rally.
- Harris and her sister had their Montreal apartment revoke their policy which banned children from playing on the lawn.
- She got appointed as the assistant DA in the prosecutor’s office as she wanted to change the system from within by erasing the bad reputation the prosecutors had earned.
- Harris has always been against sex-related crimes and the death penalty which further pushed her to make criminal justice data for the public, she also encouraged parents to send their children to school.
Accomplishments and Other Facts
Kamala Harris has been a woman for strong virtues since her childhood and all her accomplishments pushed her one step closer to becoming the first female Vice President of The United States Of America.
- From 2004 to 2010, Harris served as the first woman District Attorney in San Francisco’s history and as the first African American woman and South Asian American woman in California to hold office, according to the state’s Department of Justice. She was elected as the first African American and the first woman to serve as California’s Attorney General after completing two terms as DA.
- She defeated Loretta Sanchez in the U.S Senate elections.
- Harris was well accomplished in her home frontier as well. Being the best “Momala” to her stepchildren and a role model to her niece and her nieces’ children.
- She is close friends with Barak Obama and Beau Biden.
- Kamala Harris was once under scrutiny for failing to inform the defense attorney when the technician stole cocaine from the DA’s crime lab leading to mishandling of evidence. Thus, having 1000s of drug-related cases being canceled.
Who Was The First Female Candidate for President?
- A. Victoria Woodhull
- B. Lucretia Coffin Mott
- C. Margaret Chase Smith
- D. Charlene Mitchell