Are you scared of computers and technology? You probably might have technophobia. In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about technophobia(phobia of technology). Technophobia is just the opposite of Technophilia. What is the Technophobia definition according to Wikipedia? Technophobia is a fear or dislike of advanced technology or complex devices like computers. In other words, technophobia is the fear of technology, computers, AI, electronics, and other technical advancements.
Larry Rosen, a research psychologist, computer educator, and professor at California State University refers to three major subcategories of technophobes: the uncomfortable users, cognitive computerphobes, and anxious computerphobes.
History of Technophobia
Technophobia gained attention during the Industrial Revolution. This period is a transition to new manufacturing processes in Europe and the US. The introduction of new machinery that can perform more skillfully than a human created fear among workers. Even after World War 2, the fear of technology continued to grow. Along with the growth of technology, people started noticing unusual changes in nature. In the 1980s people started worrying about the depletion of the ozone layer, global warming, and other negative environmental changes while technology was developing.
Technophobia Is Also Known as Technofear.
- A. True
- B. False
Symptoms of Technophobia
- Always thinking about using the technology in the wrong way.
- Refusing to use any devices.
- Always criticizing the technology and its evolutions.
- Getting anxious while using technology.
- Afraid of the word ‘technology.’
- Fear of computers or working on a computer
- Avoiding gadgets due to fear of electronics
Why are people afraid of technology? To be honest, we all are in some way afraid of the evolving technology. Imagine if someone could spy on you through your webcam. And what about the times when you just randomly talk about Nike’s newly launched shoes through the phone and you get it as an Instagram advertisement? We all still doubt that someday we might be replaced by technology. Isn’t it scary? This proves that somehow we all have at least a little bit of technophobia. Now, is it any wonder people are afraid of technology?
The majority of technology phobia occurs in the older generation. This is probably because they did not grow up with technology and it is a sudden addition to their human-only lifestyle and they do not have the time and necessity to get to know about the technology.
Why Is Technophobia Increasing?
- We all live in a society that accepts us only if we have a proper understanding of technology.
- Another major reason is that we all want to fit into the group as no one here wants to feel left behind.
- We are in a society that would mock a person if he/she does not know how to operate a device.
These are only a very practical few reasons but there are so much more. We forget to understand that this can gradually lower our self-esteem and confidence.
How to Overcome Technophobia?
- If you admit your weakness, it can no longer be your weakness. Instead of blaming the evolving technology, understanding and accepting your technophobia will help you.
- Create a positive mindset. We all must understand that technology keeps on updating every single day. It can be hard to keep up with the trend and it is not always necessary.
- Create a feeling that you are not alone. If you ever feel like you have technophobia, just know that you are not alone. It is one of the highly studied phobias. It was found that many teachers refuse to take classes using technology due to technophobia.
- Take this as a challenge and try to learn to use technology.
Only if this mindset changes, technophobia decrease. We all must learn to normalize if a person does not know to use a technology as it is not a compulsion to keep up with the trend.
Technology was invented to help out people and make their work easier but instead, we have complicated things and ended up introducing a new type of phobia called technophobia.
People with technophobia have been reported to have anxiety issues and panic attacks at times when they are exposed to use technology. Needless to say, we all have to use technology every day and this can be frustrating in day-to-day life. Several therapies can help you out such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy(CBT). This has proven to show development in people with technophobia. If you ever see a person with technophobia, help them understand that it is not necessary to be familiar with all technological devices and advise them to reach out to a therapist immediately.