Curious about the Winter Olympics opening ceremony? Play this fun quiz to find interesting facts about it and more now!
Winter Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, Beijing
Beijing Winter Olympics 2022 officially started at 6.30 a.m ET on February 4, 2022. A few sporting events began 2 days before the ceremony, and the torch relay 3 days ahead. NBC and Peacock will telecast the live ceremony and a replay from 8 p.m 11 p.m ET. Unlike Tokyo 2022, the Beijing Olympics is being hosted on the scheduled date.
Winter Olympic Games 2022
Beijing, China, will become the first city in the world to host both summer and winter Olympic games. National Stadium hosted the Summer Olympics 14 years ago and is set to dazzle the Olympics arena once again. The 80,000 capacity venue is shaped like a birds nest and will host the opening and closing ceremonies of Winter Olympics 2022.
Who Is Holding 2022 Winter Olympics?
- A. Japan
- B. China
- C. Bhutan
- D. India
Fun Facts about National Stadium, Beijing
- The building makes maximum use of natural light
- It is powered by solar energy and has rain harvesting and recycling facilities
- The steel structure was built for the 2008 Beijing Olympics
- The building is earthquake-proof
Winter Olympics 2022 Sports
Seven sports will be held in 15 disciplines from February 4 to February 20. Monobob and freestyle “big air” ski jumping will be added to this year events. US, Canada, Australia, and Japan announced a diplomatic boycott of the Olympics in light of human rights abuse in China. The boycotting nations will not send an official government delegation but won’t prevent athletes from participating. North Korea will be the only country that won’t be allowed to participate in the games by the IOC.
What Happens on the Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony?
- Parade of Nations is the first event, athletes from around the world will parade into the stadium in groups following their national flag.
- The national flags of participating countries will be hoisted and their national anthems will be sung one after the other.
- The Olympic torch will be lighted. The Winter Olympics 2022 torch arrived in Beijing on Oct 20 straight from Athens. Due to the pandemic, it didn’t make the conventional trip. Jackie Chan will carry the torch at the Great Wall of China.
- The live performances were also reduced to 3000 from 15000. Thus, the 2022 opening ceremony will run for less than 100 minutes.
- Chinese filmmaker Zhang Yimo, the 2008 Olympics director, is planning to give this year’s flame lighting a new twist.
- Brittany Bowe, speed skating and John Shuster, men’s curling team captain are bestowed with the opportunity to bear the American flag.