The groundbreaking show, The Proud Family has shifted to Disney+ as The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder and have been streaming on Disney+ since February 2022 with new characters and amazing guests, according to Deadline. The Proud Family debuted on the Disney Channel on September 15, 2001, and was marked as one of television’s first animated African American families. Here we are covered some of the top facts about the proud family.
The Proud Family Reboot Cast from 2001 to 2005
Below listed casts are returning from the original show:
- Alisa Reyes as LaCienega Boulevardez
- Alvaro Gutierrez as Papi
- Cedric the Entertainer as Uncle Bobby Proud
- Carlos Mencia as Felix Boulevardez
- Kyla Pratt as Penny Proud
- Paula Jai Parker as Trudy Proud
- JoMarie Payton as Suga Mama
- Karen Malina White as Dijonay Jones
- Maria Canals-Barrera as Sunset Boulevardez
- Soleil Moon Frye as Zoey Howzer
- Tommy Davidson as Oscar Proud
The Proud Family Facts
How Old Is Penny Proud in the Reboot?
- A. 14-year-old
- B. 20-year-old
- C. 4-year-old
- D. 12-year-old
Before you start binge watching the entire series, learn these important The Proud Family facts.
- With 52 episodes and a television movie, the series is focused on a Black suburban family lifestyle. The protagonist, a middle-schooler Penny Proud (voiced by Kyla Pratt) has strict yet affectionate parents—Oscar and Trudy (Tommy Davidson and Paula Jai Parker), infant twin siblings BeBe and CeCe, and grandmother Suga Mama (Jo Marie Payton).
- The Proud Family is centered on racial discrimination, activism, feminism, and more.
- Emmy-winning Pose actor, Billy Porter, and Zachary Quinto were casted for the roles of Randall and Barry-Leibowitz-Jenkins. Keke Palmer joined The Proud Family to voice Maya Leibowitz-Jenkins, a 14-year-old activist.
- Reality star EJ Johnson had voiced the character Michael Collins.
- The remaining cast who will be reprising their roles is Tommy Davidson (Oscar Proud), Paula Jai Parker (Trudy Proud), Cedric the Entertainer (Uncle Bobby), and Jo Marie Payton (Suga Mama).
- According to Variety, few famous artists are also scheduled to make appearances in the show including Lil Nas X and Lizzo, hip-hop artists Chance The Rapper and Normani. Apart from them, Tiffany Haddish, Jane Lynch, Eva Longeria, Gabrielle Union, Marsai Martin, Holly Robinson, Blackish’s Anthony Anderson, Lovecraft Country’s Courtney B. Vance, Glynn Turman, and Lamorne Morris will also be seen in the show.
- The Proud Family was originally piloted by Disney’s One Saturday Morning. Disney Channel picked it and released it in September 2001. Nickelodeon made the original pilot in 1998, but never disclosed about passing the show on.
- Adobe Flash was used in a few of the later episodes.
- The show’s art director was Michael Peraza.