The Norwegian royal family members are pretty cool. They belong to the House of Glücksburg. This royal family is closely related to the Danish and Swedish royal families via many historical alliances. This blog contains some fascinating facts about the Norwegian royal family and its members. Make sure that you read them without skipping any!
Norwegian Royal Family News
In this section, you will find some interesting news – both old and new, about the Norwegian King, Queen, and their descendants.
- King Harald V is the head of the royal family. His wife is Queen Sonja. She was a commoner before marriage and her father was a clothing merchant.
- Before King Harald ascended the throne in 1991, his father, King Olav V, was the ruler.
- Harald and Sonja secretly dated for nearly 9 years! They were head over heels in love. Harald told his father that if he was not allowed to marry Sonja, he would never get married and there would be no heir to the throne. So, King Olav permitted him to wed Sonja.
- Here is an interesting tidbit about the Norwegian royal family princess. The King and Queen have a son, Prince Haakon, and a daughter, Princess Märtha Louise. She is also a businesswoman!
- Prince Haakon, Crown Prince of Norway, followed in the footsteps of his father and married a commoner named, Mette-Marit Tjessem Høiby. Before the wedding, she was a single mother. Haakon and his wife now share two children, Ingrid Alexandra and Sverre Magnus. Mette-Marit also has a son from her previous marriage.
- A lavish celebration for the King and Queen’s 80th birthdays (both are nearly the same age) was attended by royals from many countries. There was a gala dinner and lots of entertainment. Halfway through the celebrations, Prince Haakon shaved his beard! It was said to be a part of the entertainment.
- King Harald has participated three times in the Olympics. The entire family takes part in sports and other outdoor activities. The King also loves fishing and hunting.
- Prince Sverre Magnus is known for his mischievous activities. He is also popular for his “dabbing” in the presence of the other royal family members.
Norwegian Royal Family Last Name
We know that every royal family has a highly prestigious last name. Since the Norwegian royal family belongs to the House of Glücksburg, its last name is “Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.”
King Harald IV is the head of the royal family.
- A. True
- B. False
Norway Royal Family Net Worth
The King and Queen live in the Royal Palace. It is located in Oslo, Norway. The royal family’s net worth is said to be $30 million. The Norwegian royal family seems to live a more modest life when compared to their counterparts.
We have now come to the end of the mind-blowing facts about the Norwegian royal family members. To make sure that you remember all of them, answer the Quiz provided on this page.