You might have heard that Ohio is one of the most famous states in the United States. This famous state is the birthplace of 7 presidents and 24 astronauts. However, this state is filled with many other interesting things like weird laws. Yes, there are many weird laws in Ohio. Scroll down to find out the funny laws in Ohio.
Crazy Laws in Ohio
The United States, a country bound by numerous laws and regulations, has its laws in each state, which everyone should follow and respect. Today, we will discuss the strange laws in Ohio. While everyone is familiar with Ohio’s regular laws, there are some dumb laws in this state that were introduced based on circumstances, and many are unaware of these amusing Ohio laws. In this blog, you have got a chance to discover these funny laws!
It’s illegal to fish for whales on a Saturday in Ohio.
- A. True
- B. False
- It’s illegal to fish for whales on a Sunday. This means that one can go ahead and fish for whales on any other day of the week!
2. Ironton is one of the cities in Ohio. Here, cross-dressing, the practice of wearing clothes that don’t adhere to one’s gender is prohibited.
3. In Akron, a city in Ohio, it’s illegal to display colored chicken for sale. Displaying dyed or colored rabbits or ducklings for sale is also a no-no.
4. Akron has another weird law… It’s illegal to post a sign at a swimming pool. So, if you have that itch to post signs when you see a swimming pool, keep this law in mind!
5. In Cleveland, which is officially the “City of Cleveland,” you cannot catch mice without a hunting license.
6. In Marion, they passed a law making it illegal to eat doughnuts while walking backward due to incidents where people choked on doughnuts while doing so. Doughnuts are popular in the United States, and National Doughnut Day is celebrated on the first Friday of June.
7. Here’s yet another peculiar law in Ohio. You cannot kill a housefly within 160 feet of a church without a license. So, the next time you use your fly swatter, remember this law!
8. In Toledo, it is illegal to throw a snake at anyone. So, if you do, you will have to face the consequences!
9. If you have a pet tiger and happen to lose it, you must notify the authorities within an hour.
10. Here is a law to be implemented when you are on the road. In case you are about to pass another vehicle, you must honk your horn.
11. Here are a couple of laws related to fish.
- Do you know that fish can get drunk? If you are in Ohio, never get a fish drunk because it’s against the law!
- You cannot take another fisherman’s catch without their written permission. If you do, it’s considered an offense.
12. Here’s another one of the weird laws in Ohio. Bay Village is a city located in the Cuyahoga County of Ohio. Here, you cannot make a cow walk down the Lake Road. Years ago, farmers used to make their cows walk on Lake Road, which disrupted traffic in the area. To avoid this situation, the law was passed.
13. You cannot participate in or conduct a duel because the aftermath of it can be murder and mayhem.
14. You cannot install or use slot machines in outhouses. In many parts of Ohio, these slot machines are banned.
15. In Youngstown, you are prohibited from riding on the rooftop of a taxi cab. Obviously, it is for safety purposes.
16. Canton is a city situated in the northeast of Ohio. There are some strange laws in Canton too. Here are two of those laws!
- You cannot play in any public park without the permission of the superintendent in Canton. If you do, you will be charged for it! It’s one of the crazy laws in Ohio that one definitely has to follow.
- There is another rule in Canton that prohibits the laying of electric fences around your property.
17. These are some funny laws introduced some years ago only for women.
- More than five women cannot stay in a single house in Ohio. This is because too many women in a house might make people suspicious and might indicate that they are running a brothel.
- Women are not permitted to wear patent leather shoes in public. This rule has an age-old reason – the reflection from the shiny surfaces of such shoes might offer accidental up-the-skirt glimpses!
18. Nobody can be arrested on the 4th of July in Ohio. This is one of the strange laws in Ohio that some people love!
19. According to the Lowellville municipal code 707.09, residents in the village of Lowellville must not store ‘junk’ in their houses. This code forbids the storage of ‘junk’ within residential properties.
20. In the village of Paulding, a policeman has permission to bite a dog if he wishes to quieten them. This strange law allows officers to take a bite out of crime in a rather unusual way.
Hope you found our weird laws in Ohio interesting! Refresh your mind with the laws by answering the Quiz on this page.