Augmented and Virtual Reality
Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) have impacted our lives in many ways. Many technologies we use have augmented reality and virtual reality. It is also increasingly used in many fields right from entertainment, healthcare, education, fashion, industrial design, and much more. Scientists say that virtual reality vs augmented reality will change our lives in more ways than we can imagine. It is also said that 90 percent of companies whose annual profit between $100 million and $1 billion leverage augmented reality or virtual reality. The term virtual reality vs augmented reality can be a bit confusing. Read on to know the difference between augmented reality vs virtual reality.
Difference between Virtual and Augmented Reality
Virtual reality vs augmented reality is nothing but two different concepts with characteristics that provide you different user experiences. Both virtual reality and augmented reality are powerful technologies and they can even completely change the user experience of computers in the future.
- Augmented reality adds a digitals element to the live view of the real environment i.e it is a mix of the real-world and virtual world whereas virtual reality shows you a completely different world or alternate world than the one in front of you.
- AR is 75% real and 25% virtual whereas VR is just the opposite 75% virtual and 25% real.
- Augmented reality (AR) is defined as an enhanced version of the reality created by the use of technology to add digital information to an image or something. Virtual reality (VR) is defined as the use of computer technology to create a simulated environment.
- Augmented reality is used in smartphone apps. AR uses your mobile camera to show you the view of the real world and includes a layer of information that uses text or images on top of the view. Virtual reality is artificial and you can view VR through a VR viewer, the animated or actual place has been photographed and included in virtual reality.
- You can use augmented reality only on your smartphone but virtual reality is achieved only by wearing goggles or a helmet.
- Examples of augmented reality are games such as Pokémon GO and Snapchat lenses. Virtual reality is used in computer simulation of an alternative reality, 3D movies and VR video games are perfect examples of virtual reality.
How Is Virtual Reality Different From Augmented Reality?
Virtual reality is far different from augmented reality and many people even think that both are the same. Both VR and AR are actually cousins rather than twins. Virtual reality replaces reality by taking you somewhere else. You can even explore places like the surface of Mars, the moon, and the top of Mt. Everest inside four walls through virtual reality. Compared to virtual reality, augmented reality is limited and also expensive. The rising usage of smartphones and the low price of virtual reality makes it popular and easily accessible.
AR Stands for ________.
- A. Audimented Reality
- B. Augmented Reality
- C. Audacious Reality
- D. None of the above