First US Black Female Olympic Wrestler to Win a Gold Medal
Tamyra Mensah- Stock became the first USA female Olympic wrestler to win gold. After defeating the second seed Nigeria’s blessing Oborududu on 68-kilogram freestyle in the final. Both Mensah and oborumade women’s wrestling history. Discover more unknown facts about the USA female Olympic wrestlers – Tamyra here at Triviasharp.
Unknown Facts about Tamyra Mensah Stock – Wrestling Champion
- Tamyra Mariama Mensah stock is an American-born black female Olympic wrestler who was competing in the women’s freestyle category.
- Mensah is the number one ranked female wrestler in the world.
- Mensah was born on 11th October 1992 in Chicago, Illinois, United States, and grew up in the Houston, Texas suburbs.
- Mensah pursued wrestling as a teenager at Morton Ranch high school in Katy, Texas.
- It was her sister who was also in the wrestling team who convinced her to join in a wrestling practice session.
- Due to her father’s demise, she almost quitted wrestling. Mensah also blamed wrestling for her father’s untimely demise as she saw him as her biggest support.
- She became the Texas high school girls champion in the year 2009.
- In the year 2010, she became the runner-up in U.S junior wrestling.
- During her college years, she became the WCWA national champion in 2014.
- She also took third place in the U.S Universities championship in the year 2013 and took first place in the year 2015.
- Mensah won the gold medal in the women’s 68 kg event during the 2019 World Wrestling Championships.
- She also qualified to represent the USA at the 2020 summer Olympics.
- Tamyra Mensah also won a bronze medal at the 2018 world wrestling championships for the women’s 68 kg event.
- In the year 2019, she was one of the three gold medalists of the United States in the women’s freestyle category.
- In 2021, she won the gold medal at the women’s 68kg event at Matteo Pellicone ranking series 2021.