COVID-19, security, and climate change become a major discussion in the UN General Assembly 2021.
Leaders from all over the world gathered in New York for the 76th session of the United States General Assembly(UNGA). Several days of speeches from leaders started on Tuesday as the debate. Leaders addressed two foremost challenges that include the ending COVID-19 pandemic and reestablishing the post-pandemic economy. President Joe Biden delivered his first UNGA speech and discussed the major problems including climate change. Top leaders including UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, US President Joe Biden, China’s President Xi Jinping, and Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi are gathered. If you are curious to find the role of general assembly 2021, read our complete blog. Do not miss out on our latest quiz on Unga 2021 resolutions to expand your knowledge.
What Is a General Assembly?
Where Is the Headquarters of the General Assembly?
- A. Alaska
- B. Colorado
- C. New York
- D. Alabama
The UN General Assembly aka UNGA is a main policy-making organ of the Organization, containing all Member states. Wondering what the role of the general assembly is? They serve as the policy-making, discussion, and representative organ of the UN.
Here Are the Updates of UN General Assembly 2021
What does the general assembly do? Scroll down to find more about state members’ discussions.
Xi stated that China will not fund coal-fired power plants abroad.
Speaking at the 76th UNGA for the first time as US President, Biden declared a decision on double financial support to poorer nations to $11.4 billion by 2024.
- The 76th UNGA President Abdulla Shahid addresses country leaders. He further added that he will concentrate on Covid-19 vaccine equity and arrange high-level meetings with various country leaders to implement that.
- UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres also addresses world leaders in the UN Assembly.
- K Pop sensation BTS performed in the UN General Assembly.
- Biden said they are not seeking a new Cold War. The country is ready for peaceful solutions as the country has suffered from its missteps. He also mentioned the increasing tensions between the United States and China. He said the US will stand against any attempts by stronger nations to dominate the weaker nations.
- Joe Biden stated the country’s military power should be their last resort. Joe Biden, US ended 20 years of rivalry against Afghanistan, and the country is opening doors for a peaceful relationship.
- Afghanistan’s Taliban urges to address UNGA, says UN.
- Colombian President Iván Duque addressed an equal distribution of COVID-19 vaccines.
- Recent preliminary data showed that Amazon deforestation dropped in July and August due to redoubled efforts.
- US Climate Envoy John Kerry appreciated Xi Jinping’s announcement that China will no longer continue coal-fired power plants abroad.
- The United States and Turkey are ready to continue cooperating on Afghanistan.
- The Turkish government will submit the Paris Agreement next month regarding climate change for ratification to parliament.
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said that Covid-19 “caught everyone by surprise” in 2020.
- Joe Biden said his support for Israel will remain the same faith.
- Iranian president said nuclear weapons ‘have no place in the country’s security policy.
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in urged for the resumption of discussion between North Korea and South Korea, and North Korea and the US.
- Colombian President Iván Duque urged for fair and free elections in Venezuela.