Honey is a natural ingredient that has innumerous health benefits when consumed. But, did you know that bee venom is beneficial in so many ways? Apitherapy or bee venom therapy helps in treating various ailments like rheumatoid arthritis, hay fever, Lyme disease, and other inflammatory, and immune diseases. Bee venom therapy has existed for so many years and is a popular treatment methodology in China and European countries.
What is Bee Venom?
Bee Venom Is Acidic in Nature.
- A. True
- B. False
Bees excrete venom through their stingers. This liquid is acidic in nature and contains various compounds such as melittin, apamin, and adolapin. While melittin is the compound responsible for the pain associated with bee stings, the peptides apamin and adolapin have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties.
How is Bee Venom Extracted?
Bee venom is generally extracted by electrical stimulation through a glass. Though it doesn’t kill the bees, they get irritated and sting the glass during the extraction process. Bee venom is toxic in nature and should be administered only by professionals in proper dosages and methods.
Bee Venom Therapy Benefits
- Bee acupuncture is a treatment that involves placing live bees on the skin to treat various ailments. The bee sting benefits are numerous and develop immunity to beat bee sting allergies. Bee sting therapy is still under study and the actual benefits have still not been found.
- Bee venom has been used by several skincare brands in their moisturizer, serums, and creams for treating acne, redness, inflammation, and reducing acne. Eczema and psoriasis are the other skin conditions that make use of bee venom in their treatments.
- Bee venom has been proved to cure autoimmune diseases like lupus, and rheumatoid arthritis. Medication involving bee venom is administered through injections in most cases.
- Allergies and respiratory conditions like asthma can also be treated using bee venom therapy.
- Apitherapy also is beneficial in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, and sclerosis.