Marine One is the call sign of any aircraft of the U.S. Marine Corps transporting the president of the United States. Marine One was adopted by a marine aircraft and particularly used when the president is on board. It denotes a helicopter operated by Marine Helicopter Squadron One “Nighthawks”, can be either the large Sikorsky VH-3D Sea King or the newer, smaller VH-60N “White Hawk”.
The helicopters are called Whiter Tops because they are painted in white color. This chopper is constructed with Sikorsky VH-3 category helicopters that are considered safe.
In the 1940s, the U.S military had acquired helicopters. Any Marine Corps aircraft carrying the vice president is known as Marine Two. Air Force One is based in Maryland, near Washington, D. C.
How Many Marine Ones Are There?
- A. One
- B. Three
- C. Four
- D. Two
Surprising Facts about Presidential Aircraft and Call Signs
- Identical decoys fly along with Marine One Helicopter in different formations throughout the journey to protect from possible threats. This strategy is known as the presidential “shell game”.
- The Marine Corps aircraft built with ballistic armor, anti-missile defenses, and missile warning systems plus equipped with secure communication lines to stay in touch with the White House and the Pentagon.
- Fourteen people can travel in a helicopter. It flies at a speed of close to 250 kmph and can fly continuously even if three engines stop working.
- Surprisingly, it is known as the noiseless chopper while traveling President can speak in a normal tone.
- The president is always greeted by Marines, no matter where they come from.
- Presently, two choppers are commonly used including VH-3D Sea King and the VH-60N White Hawk, both manufactured by Sikorsky Aircraft Corporation.
- Did you know? Helicopters weren’t the President’s vehicle until 1957. The tradition was started during the presidency of Dwight D. Eisenhower. He used to travel in a BELL UH-13J “Sioux” helicopter to travel from the White House to home in Pennsylvania.
- Believe it or not, only four pilots from the HMX-1 squadron are allowed to operate the chopper. These pilots are called ‘The Nightwalkers.’
- Many cargo flights fly ahead of Air Force One to give the President with service required in remote locations.
- The Air Force one is a customized Boeing 747-200B series aircraft. It can refuel midair and offers an unlimited range. The onboard electronics can protect against any electromagnetic and the chopper is made with advanced secure communications gears that permit the helicopter to function as a mobile command center during an attack.
- Marine Corps aircraft which carry the President has three levels that include a widespread suite for the President that has a large office, lavatory, and conference room. The helicopter’s food preparation can feed around 100 people.