The Democratic party is one of the two powerful political parties in the United States. Democratic Party was founded around 1828 by supporters of Andrew Jackson, making it the world’s oldest active political party.
Here, we have listed some of the facts about the democratic party that you should definitely know. Check it out!
What Is the Oldest Existing Minor Political Party in the United States?
- A. The Republican Party
- B. The Democratic Party
- C. The Political Party
- D. None of the above
Interesting Facts about Democrats
- Andrew Jackson was the elected president of the United States back in 1828. He was the first member of the US Democratic Party to be placed in the White House.
- The Democrats are the oldest political party in the United States, although stances and policies of the democrats have changed significantly over time.
- Democratic Party started as the Democratic-Republicans in 1791. The former presidents that affiliated under this party include Thomas Jefferson, James Monroe, James Madison and John Quincy Adams. Later the party changed its name to simply the Democratic Party.
- Now three-quarters of the party’s members are in support of same-sex marriage. But back in the 2000s the Democratic party was on the question of same-sex marriage.
- The Democratic Party differs from the Republican party in one major way. The difference is in their response to economic downturn and disasters. Republicans favor austerity and Democrats favor increases in federal spending to help the economy recover.
- The Democratic or Republican parties have won every presidential election since 1852.
- The donkey – symbol of the Democratic Party – originated during the election campaign of Andrew Jackson in 1828. The opponents called him a jackass, and Andrew Jackson found it humorous and placed the donkey on his campaign posters.
- Over the past two decades, the Democratic voters have become much more racially and ethnically diverse.
- The Democrats are united in their opposition to Donald Trump. They are nearly unanimous in their disapproval of Trump’s job as president.
- Majorities of the Democrats say the gender, race or sexuality of the Democratic nominee in 2020 wouldn’t make a difference in their enthusiasm.
- Few of the famous Democrats include Jay-Z, Beyoncé, Tom Hanks, Meryl Streep, Reese Witherspoon, Meryl Streep and Leonardo DiCaprio, among many others.
- 28% of Americans identified as Democrats, as of December 2019.