The ocean is the blood of the earth and it holds lots of secrets. Nearly 71% of the earth’s surface is covered by water. Like ocean animals, land animals exist in a wide variety of species. But marine mammals are much larger than land mammals. Do you know why marine mammals are larger? Read on to unlock the answer.
Why are most marine mammals large?
Blue whales are one of the best examples of huge animals in the ocean. They are considered as the largest animals living on the earth. Research says that less gravity in the ocean makes mammals grow larger. The effect of gravity is much greater in water. In a research study, scientists separated the sizes of four different evolutionary groups of sea mammals into 4000 living and 3000 fossil species. Living and fossil species over millions of years have been said to have evolved larger sizes. Whereas land animals didn’t trend towards any particular size.
Scientists say there are huge animals in the ocean because it is too chilly in the ocean to survive as warm-blooded animals. Larger animals lose less heat to the surrounding water. However, there is a limit on how big a mammal can get, and it generally depends on what and how you eat.
Which is the Largest Animal Ever Lived in the World?
- A. Blue Whales
- B. Dinosaurs
- C. African Elephant
- D. Whale Shark
Here are some of the Biggest Ocean Animals-
- Blue Whale- It is the largest animal on the planet and weighs about 200 tons, which is equal to 33 elephants.
- The Fin Whale- It is the second-largest mammal in the world. The fin whale can swim at a speed of 23mph (37km/hr).
- The Whale Shark- On average, whale sharks grow to 18 to 32.8 feet, but they can grow up to 40 feet.
- The Sperm Whale- It is the largest of the toothed whales and toothed predators. Sperm whales possess the largest brain of the animal kingdom.
- Giant Manta Rays– It is the world’s largest ray species with a wingspan of up to 29 feet. Giant manta grows up to 7 meters from the tip of each wing.
- Lion’s Mane Jelly– Lion’s mane is one of the largest jelly species in the world. It is also known as giant jellyfish or hair jelly.
- The Killer Whale– As the name says, killer whales are the most powerful predators in the world.
- The Great White Shark-It is the largest predator fish in the world. It grows to an average of 15 feet in length and weighs up to 5000 pounds.